- WED APR 28 will be our last full-class meeting for the semester. By then, your end-of-semester Portfolio will be complete, will have been double-checked for completeness, and will be available to your Professor for final grading.
- During Finals Week FRI APR 30—THU MAY 06, instead of meeting as a class, and instead of having a Final Exam, you’ll meet with your professor one time in a one-on-one in a Zoom room to conduct your “Final Grade Conference.”
- Between today and MON APR 26, when your PORTFOLIO IS DUE, only 4 classes remain, and 14 days.
- If you’ve been keeping up, by now you have posted your 3 short arguments (Definition, Causal, and Rebuttal), and your Visual Rhetoric Rewrite, have a robust White Paper, perhaps one or more short argument rewrites, and will have no trouble posting the first draft of your Research Position Paper by next WED APR 21.
- There are no special Deadlines for your Short Paper Rewrites, but when your Portfolio is due, on MON APR 26, you’ll need two Rewrites (out of the 3 Definition/Causal/Rebuttal set) AND a Visual Rhetoric Rewrite.
- If you haven’t posted your 3 short arguments, you are now officially behind.
- There is no longer time to interact with your Professor over all three of your Short Arguments, receive meaningful feedback, post significant Rewrites, and prepare to compile the results into your Research Paper.
Riddle: The Soccer Penalty Kick
What’s the smartest kick?
To the shooter’s strong side, which the goalie is more likely to guard?
Or to the shooter’s weak side, which the goalie is more likely to block if he guesses right?
The authors of Think Like a Freak give us some details to help us decide.
- The goal is 12 yards away.
- It’s 8 yards wide and 8 feet tall.
- You will kick the ball at 80 miles per hour.
- The kick will arrive at the net in 0.306818 seconds
- I know that because: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/speed-distance-time-calculator.php/
- The goalie can’t wait for you to kick. He has to guess and fling his body toward his choice before you make contact with the ball.
- Overall, at the elite level, 75% of penalty kicks are successful.
- If he chooses wrong, your odds of success are about 90%.
- You want him to choose wrong.
- Whether you’re left- or right-footed, 57% of goalies will guard your strong side. 41% of the time, they’ll guard your weak side.
Answer in the Reply field below and Post Comment:
- What’s the best way to improve your odds of kicking the ball where the goalie isn’t?
- Why do so few kickers make the most logical choice?
The Rest of the Agenda
- You will need to show revision cycles for your Portfolio.
- IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY RECEIVED FEEDBACK ON TWO SHORT ARGUMENTS:
- Choose a Short Argument (Definition, Causal, or Rebuttal)
- Add it to the Feedback Please category
- In a Reply below your chosen Argument, leave a detailed note describing the sort of feedback you require.
- If you fail to leave detailed instructions, you will receive no feedback.
- IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY RECEIVED FEEDBACK ON TWO SHORT ARGUMENTS:
- Check Banner for Evaluation of Teacher Effectiveness
- If you have received this notice, I’ll give you class time to complete the Evaluation
- Tips for APA Style Citation and References
Taking helmets out of football is a very counterintuitive idea itself.
Taking helmets out of football is counterintuitive.
It may seem as if this will hurt the players, but in fact it will help protect the players.
Playing unprotected will help players, not hurt them.
No helmets will make keep players from taking risky, hard hits, and cause them to have more caution when playing the game.
Playing bareheaded will keep players from tackling head-first, sparing them from head, neck, and brain injuries.
They all will be protected from severe concussions, spinal cord injuries, and developing CTE later in life.
They will be protected from severe concussions, spinal cord injuries, and late-developing CTEs.
There is however, some opposition to this counterintuitive idea.
There is, however, some opposition to this counterintuitive idea.
Many people feel as if there would be no change to the amount of head injuries sustained in a football game.
Many people feel there would be no reduction to the number of head injuries sustained in a football game.
They feel as if players will still hit hard, and make risky plays.
They feel players will still hit hard and make risky plays.
Today football helmets are evolving more and more everyday.
Football helmets are evolving.
Risk compensation is when protective equipment prompts individuals to act more aggressively which increases the potential for injury.
“Risk compensation” is the tendency of players to risk injury through reckless play when equipment upgrades make them feel invulnerable.
If you give an individual better protective equipment, they are going to have an increase in aggression, causing more injuries.
More-protective equipment encourages reckless play, causing more injuries.
Helmets may have been upgraded, and made to absorb hits, but they still do the same damage.
Today’s helmets absorb more hits, but players’ brains suffer the same damage.
Resources for Improving your Work before Portfolio
- Revision—Brevity and Clarity
- Magical Dependency
- Revision—Scholarship Plus and Minus
- Final Polish Workshop
- DUE DATE MON APR 19
- Portfolio Task: 3000-word Researched Position Paper
- DUE WED APR 21
What’s the best way to improve your odds of kicking the ball where the goalie isn’t?
Hit the ball where the goalie is not going to be.
Why do so few kickers make the most logical choice?
Hitting the ball into the corner
the best way to improve your chances of getting the ball in the goal is to kick it in the middle, because the goalie will have already moved at that point and is not going to expect you to kick in the middle. I’m honestly not sure why they don’t do this.
Kick to where the goalie originated from (the center). If they dive in advance, they can’t defend the center.
Schedule Professor Grade Conference for finals week
Soccer Penalty Kick Riddle
Goalie chooses side of goal to block before the kicker even kicks the ball
Best way of kicking ball: observe what side the goalie seems to be leaning and kick to opposite side
Why do so few players make logical choice: I believe they are too confident in themselves or are incapable of aiming their kicks
It is time to begin revising short arguments and visual rhetoric assignments (receiving feedback is necessary to do so)
It is essentially mandatory to ask for specific feedback on your essays to make effective revisions
Sentence Polishing exercise (Get to the point and eliminate unnecessary wording)
Annotated Bibliography Due Monday (APR 19th)
(I really need to add the new sources I used onto the White Paper ASAP)
Researched Position Paper Due Wednesday (APR 21st)
You can chop down an entire paragraph written to achieve a word count in just one or two sentences
Just the use of syntax can dramatically change the strength of your sentence and overall essay
Keep an eye out for plus and minus of scholarship (read through essays at least twice to make sure)
Sounds like good advice, CW.
End of Semester Schedule
-April 28th is the last full-meeting for the semester
-all three arguments should be posted, finish them by this week
-finals week will be time for grade conference
Riddle: Soccer Penalty Kick
-is the better strategy to shoot to your strong side or your weak side?
-the best way to improve your odds of kicking the ball where the goalie isn’t would be to shoot straight center
-so few players pick the most logical place the goalie is not going to be because they don’t want to be seen kicking the ball straight at the goalie
The Rest of the Agenda
-you will need to show revision cycles for your portfolio
-aka it’s time to start working on those revisions if you want better grades
-the sooner and more detailed you make the kind of feedback you want, the better your feedback will be
-if you’re having trouble revising your portfolio first drafts, look at these examples and cut down on words to make the 1000 more meaningful
-DUE MON APR 19
-3000 word researched position paper due WED APR 21
-look at the model, you want to have the cited source, background info AND explain how you used it
-due monday, if you update your white paper you can just copy and paste it
at this point you are technically behind, panicking will not help it is time to double down as best as you can and just try and finish the semester
-your paper is an argument and the purpose is to persuade readers of your opinion
Resources for Improving you Work before Portfolio
-brevity and clarity
–independent clauses emphasize claims
–dependent clauses minimize objections
-scholarship plus and minus
–you have to show evidence of your research
–blend your attitudes with your scholarship
–if you have to think about whether or not to cite something CITE IT
Love the intermittent pep talk.
* We opened up class to discuss how fast the year is coming to an end
* By wed the 28th we should have our portfolio will be complete
* During finals week APR 30-Thu May 06 instead of class we will have a one on one in a zoom room to conduct your final grade conference.
* Professor had a soccer riddle. The riddle was a penalty shot and we were trying to decide what is the best way to improve your odds of kicking the ball to where the goalie isn’t. The answer was kicking the ball down the middle because goalies spend 5% covering the middle
* Your portfolio needs to have feedback on all of our arguments and you must respond to feedback too.
* You should ask specific questions when you ask for feedback.
* Professor will give you better feedback because he knows what you want now
* We then worked on removing unnecessary words in sentences
* Keep your annotated bibliography to up to 15 of your most useful sources
* No fewer than 10 sources
* Beware if your sources come from the public press and advocacy website
* How its constructed is
* The apa citation
* background information
* How I used it into your paper
* Don’t represent the work of others as your work
* Don’t recycle old work from earlier this year
* Be careful not to quote out of context.
* Annotated Bibliography is DUE mon April 19
* 3,000 Word Research Paper DUE Wed April 21
Sounds like good advice.
Writing portfolio due April 26th
Make sure to complete all requirements placed for the portfolio which are 3 short arguments (Definition, Causal, and Rebuttal), and your Visual Rhetoric Rewrite, have a robust White Paper, perhaps one or more short argument rewrites
Best place to kick the soccer ball where the goalie is not gonna be is to aim towards the middle since the goalie usually has to predict where the ball is gonna go
As you are putting together your portfolio make sure to include the new rewrites to two of your short arguments
Once you complete your rewrites you can ask the professor for a polish (grammar, sentence structure, etc.) check.
Due next Monday: Annotated Bibliography
Due next Wednesday: 3000 word research position paper
What to include in the Annotated Bibliography: Include the citation of the source, the background of it, how it was used in the papers
It should have between 10-15 sources
Call the post “Bibliography” -Username
Use a broad range of credible source types for the bibliography.
Make sure to look over the resources for improving your work for the research paper.
For your claims make sure to use very clear (as well as simple ones) (don’t turn a idea in 150 words if it can be said in 25)
Independent Clauses Emphasize claims
Dependent Clauses Minimize Objections
Scholar ship plus or minus:
Plus: presenting positive evidence of your scholarship, including your research of relevant material
Minus: representing the work of others as your own, posting your own earlier work as done for the course,
Quoting, paraphrasing or summarizing the words, thoughts, or even the argument sequences of others without citation
Thorough work, JW.
End of the semester schedule
The last full-class meeting is on Wednesday, April 28th
Pick 2 out of 3 short paper rewrites
Final conferences will be during finals week
Which is the strongest side to kick a penalty goal
The kicker has to decide where the logical position that the goalie is going to be in.
75% of the penalty kick goes to the defense’s strong side so the goalies go to defend the strong side and 25% to the left side.
The strongest places to kick the ball is in the middle
The rest of the agenda
You are more likely to get feedback if you ask specific questions for feedback.
If you are failing to make a revision to your paper, you will not receive any more feedback
We looked at different sentences that need help or severely edited.
The sentences were about wearing helmets in football.
An annotated bibliography is due Sunday April 19thIt should consist of 10 to 15 sources that we have collected throughout our research process
If you keep up with your white paper the annotated bibliography will be easily completed.
The only change would be how I’m going to use it, to how I used the information.
Researched Persuasive argument is due April 21th
The paper is a compilation of all the research that we have done over the course of the semester.
It is a minimum of 3,000 words
Thorough work, Iced.
Begin rewrites*** four classes left.
Final polishing stage:
– Eliminate redundant words
– Parallelism – items in lists should be same part of speech
– Review grammar rules
Annotated bibliography – 15 sources, describe background & use
When creating the 3000 word essay don’t add fluff, be brief.
– Independent Clauses emphasize claims (like subject/ stand alone)
– Dependent Clauses minimize objections (like adjective/ supportive)
– Scholarship and End of year conferences
– Bibliography due Sunday
– 3000 words due next Wednesday
-I am not hopelessly behind!
-be ready to beef up portfolio, due APRIL 26
-focus on content revisions, professor does not want to polish anything until the actual ideas is strong and clear
-Get in rewrites!! at least 2 from short arguments and a visual rhetoric rewrite
-add your sources to the white paper; begin your annotated bibliography
-I have at least 12 sources I think
-the same material we use for the white paper and our annotated bibliography can be the same
-annotated bibliography is a summary of the source and an explanation to why they were used
-look at the annotated bibliography model
-be sure to thoroughly explain your source summary and why you used it because your reader is not reading the article, so they don’t know why it’s relevant
-when useless language is removed, the actual strength of the argument is revealed
-the professor has plenty of pages to look at when revising your essay, lots of things to help
-There are about 2 weeks left.
-A penalty kicker stands 12 yards from a soccer net.
-You should kick the middle once the goalie throws himself to one side.
-You should have 10 to 15 sources annotated in your bibliography
-The annotated bibliography is due on Monday.
We start the end of the semester schedule
The soccer penalty kick is the riddle for today. They should kick directly down the middle because the goalie will jump to one side or the other but not stay in the middle.
We should stay on top of our assignments and start doing revisions if we haven’t done so already.
We went over polishing our sentences, we should cut unneeded information from our sentences and focus on the main ideas of each sentence.
We need to update our annotated bibliography, excluding the current state of research. 10 to 15 sources should be in this.
Due April 21st is our research positions paper which is 3,000 words, I may have some repeating thoughts in all three 1,000 word arguments. I need to organize some more ideas I believe that way I am not wordy.
Four classes remain. Portfolio is due MON 4/26 (SUN 4/25 @11:59). Start revisions to short arguments and visual rhetoric. The best way to improve your odds is by aiming your kick right down the middle. Player don’t really do this strategy. You cannot ask for feedback if nothing is done for revisions. Examples of revisions. Annotated bibliography is due next MON April 19th (Sun the 18th @11:59). Bibliography needs 10-15 sources and a paragraph on “How I used It”. The research paper is the Definition, Causal, and Rebuttal arguments together. Paper is due WED April 21st. An idea that is 200 words can be cut down to just 25 or 30 words. Independent Clauses Emphasize claims and Dependent Clauses Minimize Objections. Give credit to any source you use. Not citing counts as a violation of academic integrity. Don’t misrepresent sources.
Remarkably thorough, C.
LikeLiked by 1 person