Based on sample Openings provided in the Lecture titled “How to Open Lecture/Demo,” write two different opening paragraphs for your Research Position Paper, based on your current best understanding of your topic.
- Each Opening must contain a thesis sentence that clearly and boldly proclaims the claim you promise readers you will prove.
- Do not use the same thesis for more than one Opening.
- Open a new post titled: Open Strong—Username
- Post to the Open Strong category and to your own Username
- Write an opening paragraph for your Research Position Paper (in progress).
- Craft a first sentence that DOES NOT LOSE the argument.
- A good first sentence:
- Makes strong, perhaps paradoxical claims.
- Sums up a very strong argument the essay will make.
- Is itself an argument.
- Makes a challenge to the reader.
- Is memorable.
- Can be debated, demonstrated, illustrated.
- Is a good example of itself.
- The other 3 or so sentences should achieve as many of the “First Sentence” goals as possible . . . each!
- Repeat to create a second First Paragraph with a different thesis.
- You have until I see you TUE OCT 20 to post a good first draft.