- 123 Uncheck this Box
- bit.ly for Shortening Links
- Linking to sources in your posts
- Feedback please
A Portfolio Assignment
- Visual Rhetoric Argument
- Visual Rhetoric, Static Image
- The first assignment destined to end up in your Portfolio will be the Visual Rhetoric analysis. You’ll receive provisional analysis of your first draft, then post a Visual Rhetoric Rewrite, which you’ll add to your Portfolio at the end of the semester.
- A Sample Analysis: Thai Life Insurance
- Here we examine just 10 seconds of a 2-minute long-form commercial produced by the Thai Life Insurance company to promote the universal human good of doing small selfless gestures for others. How in the world is that supposed to sell life insurance?
Additional or Alternate Study Opportunity
The 30-second limit is VERY restrictive for successful storytelling. In some examples of Ad Council work, a longer 1- or 2-minute spot very effectively manipulates viewer compassion and understanding while a shorter 30-second spot fails miserably. Anyone interested in a different approach to this assignment would do well to compare the Short and Long versions of the End Family Fire campaign.
If we have the class time, consider these two versions of the same spot about ending hunger. How well does the editor spend the extra 30 seconds? What nuances are lost in the shorter version?
- Portfolio Assignment Visual Rhetoric Argument