- Core Value I: Understand that writing is a practice that involves a multi-stage, recursive, and social process. (In particular, students should address how they have engaged in self-directed revision.)
This was beaten into my brain not only this year but since I have been writing essays. It is crazy that no matter how many times you change something it isn’t always perfect. This course really showed how important the writing process is. We wrote three mini essays and each one we had to revise.
2. Core Value II. Understand that close and critical reading/analysis allows writers to understand how and why texts create meaning.
This was done with the visual rhetoric assignment. The understanding to really look closely at things like short videos and picking each second of it and analyzing what it means.
3. Core Value III. Understand that writing is shaped by audience, purpose, and context.
This I feel is an extremely important skill to have not just in writing, but in life. Before an interview or something of importance make sure you know the audience and why you are saying what you are saying. For the course it is easy, every paper we write the audience is always the teacher.
4. Core Value IV. Understand the role of information literacy in the practice of writing.
One big thing about research papers is reading. Reading and understanding what you read is extremely important for when you want to communicate it with your audience. For example one should understand his sources before using it in the paper.
5. Core Value V. Understand the ethical dimensions of writing.
Writing is a powerful tool. It can be perceived in many ways and have endless combinations with words. However you have to have great responsibility with it meaning no plagiarism and making sure everything has the correct citations.